Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Miles has an announcement!



Yes, we are expecting baby number two by the end of the year! We are, of course, very excited and looking forward to a new addition to the family. It's part of the reason it's been so quiet around here lately. Although I must say I've gotten very lucky in the pregnancy department twice so far (knock on wood!), I was feeling that general first trimester yuckiness. A lot of nausea that came in waves all day long. Super tired, yet difficulty falling asleep at night. Strong food cravings and intense aversions to smell. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again, which is nice. I'm sort of sad my general superstitiousness around pregnancy didn't allow me to bitch more in real time, but I'm sure there will be a lot more pregnancy-related indignities to complain about down the road.

So far this pregnancy is not unlike my first. I'm lucky in that I don't vomit, but I'm unlucky in that I tend to gain more than the recommended weight and quickly. I'm trying to be better about nutrition this time and keep the weight gain to a minimum. I'll let y'all know how that works out.

We've decided to go with a midwife and an out-of-hospital birth this time, which I'm excited about. My first birth was not bad for a hospital birth, but I am looking forward to having more choices, being mobile, not being separated from the baby, and hopefully having an easier start to breastfeeding. The midwife we've chosen came highly recommended, and in addition to being a fab birth attendant, she's also a La Leche League Leader.

As anyone who's used both an OBGYN and a midwife can tell you, the midwifery model of care is so vastly different, and in my opinion, superior. My midwife has actually gotten to know me in a few short weeks and I know a lot about her as well. She talks to me about her pregnancies and birth and her kids. She gives me a hug after every visit. I never wait more than a few minutes to see her and I am never rushed through an appointment. My visits take place at the birthing center where I lay down on a bed while she takes my vital signs. I think I've been to 3 or 4 appointments already and nothing invasive has been done to me yet. On my first visit to the OB last time around, I was laying eyes on this man for the first time ever while wearing nothing but a paper blanket with a matching half top. So yes, two totally different experiences so far and I imagine the differences become even more profound once you've actually given birth.

I'm really looking forward to sharing this new journey with all of you, and starting all over again with a new baby. This will most likely be our last, so I am going to try and treasure every moment.

Never want to miss an update of the Blacktating Blog? Subscribe here. Follow me on Twitter- http://www.twitter.com/blacktating

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails