Monday, February 9, 2009

Attachment parenting, breastfeeding and......hip hop?

Hey, it's February and that means it's Black History Month! In honor of the month that celebrates the contributions of black folks to this great country of ours, I'm going to be posting more articles that are specifically about African-American culture over the next few weeks.

The other day I was thinking about how often Similac gets name-checked in rap lyrics (seriously, it must be the Gucci of the formula world) and so I wanted to see if I could find some hip-hop and R&B lyrics that mention breastfeeding or attachment parenting. I didn't come up with many, but I really love the ones that I did find. Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-check it out!


Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows

And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding

And it`s beautiful, that`s life and that`s life
Erykah Badu, “Humble Mumble


You know them hospitals all trying to get paid, no questions

hear come the doctors with they drugs, trying to do c-sections

But my baby stays strong, in labor for yay long

eight-pound baby boy, to carry my name on, joy!
Talib Kweli, “Joy”



While y'all drink the similac

My rhymes are breast-fed

No artificial nipples

I flip the real skills

I thought I told you once

I kick the lyrical windmills
Jurassic 5, “Concrete school yard


I kick more game than a crackhead from Hempstead

My styles are milk, man, you'd think that I was breast fed
A Tribe Called Quest, “God lives through”


Let me kick it most importantly trick-nology

Leave that similac alone, breast feed your seeds 

The gift of motherhood, you pass on your antibodies 

Defense against sickness, unwanted virus 

Realize we came to this land by savage pirates
Afu-Ra “Self Mastery”


You probably breastfed

'Cause you look
all healthy
Me’Shell Ndegeocello, “Pocketbook”



So do you guys know of any other tunes that celebrate breastfeeding or any of the other principles of attachment parenting? Please leave them in the comments! Even if they're not in the genre of hip-hop or R&B, I'd love to hear of any other songs that mention nursing.


Never want to miss an update of the Blacktating Blog? Subscribe here.
Twitter me- I'm blacktating

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails